Monday, September 14, 2009

Sage Crusted Chicken Breasts

I know it's not officially fall, but it really doesn't feel or look like summer anymore. Over the past few weeks, I've talked about apples and pumpkins, but I have a recipe that just absolutely tastes like fall. I really wish I had documented this because it looked as good as it tasted, but it was late and I was tired, so you'll just have to take my word on it. Here's what you need:

For the Chicken:
1/2 cup flour
1 Tbsp minced sage
about 1/2 cup coarsely ground walnuts
3 chicken breasts
1 Tbsp sweet whole grain mustard
salt and pepper to season
olive oil for the pan

For the Sauce: (This is from the December 2008 Cuisine at Home Magazine)
1/4 sliced shallots
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1 cup sweet-tart apples (I used Granny Smith)
1/4 cup brandy (I did not use)
1/4 cup thawed apple juice concentrate
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine flour, sage, walnuts, salt and pepper together in a pie pan. Brush the chicken breasts with the mustard and dip in the flour mixture. Set on a cookie rack so that the flour will adhere.
Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute until both sides are golden brown (about 5 minutes per side.) Return the chicken to a greased cookie rack and place in the oven while preparing the sauce.
Saute shallots for the sauce in 3 tbsp butter over medium heat. Cook until soft, about five minutes. Add the apple and thyme and saute about 3 minutes. Deglaze with brandy (which I didn't do), then stir in juice concentrate and broth.
Blend remaining butter with flour, then whisk into boiling sauce and simmer until thick. Season with salt and pepper.

And there you have it-a delicious fall dinner that will absolutely melt in your mouth. Maybe next time I will wrap the chicken in prosciutto for a sweet and salty taste. If you find any wonderful alternatives to this recipe please let me know! Happy dining!

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! That sounds delicious! I will definitely be trying this :) and I made your apple pie (actually twice because it was so incredible!) Thanks for the yummy recipes

    ReplyDelete