Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Week Six

I'm back today with another week of recipes for you to try out.  I'm a week behind, so here's what we had last week.  I find this week's food to be particularly tasty, and I've had them all before, so I know that they taste good.

Monday: Guinness Roast Beef 

  • Okay, this was A-mazing!  And it was a splurge, but who cares because it tasted so good.
  • I had the onions, garlic, spices, and corn starch.
  • I bought a chuck roast ($9), beef broth ($2), 2 bottles of Guinness ($4), 4 carrots ($1), and a head of cabbage ($1.50).



The total was $17.50, but I had leftovers and I reused the meat for another day.


Tuesday: Cajun Fettucini Alfredo (I will post this recipe soon)

  • For this recipe, I had the alfredo sauce and the spices. - (I froze this a month or two ago, and when it defrosted, I just added some more cream and some more parmesan cheese to even out the consistency.)  It tasted totally fine - I was leery to freeze that type of thing, but it worked!
  • I bought the chicken ($12) and the fettucini ($2).


This recipe cost $14, and I had enough for lunch the next day.  For the spices, I used Penzey's spices red and black spices.


Wednesday: White Chicken Chili

  • For this recipe, I had all of the spices, the onion, the garlic, the olive oil, dried beans, the chicken from last night and 4 cups of chicken broth.
  • I purchased the parsley ($2) and another container of chicken broth. ($2)

My total for this meal was $4, and I froze two more containers of it.  That will be two more dinners for us, and 3 lunches for me!


Thursday: Open Faced Roast Beef Sandwiches

  • For this, I had the roast, the gravy, the bread, and I simply bought the potatoes to make mashed potatoes ($2).  


The total is $2 for the dinner, and we definitely had enough for a lunch too!
And, this recipe is pretty self-explanatory.  Toast bread, add roast, put mashed potatoes on the side, drown the whole thing in gravy... you're set.

Friday: Butternut Squash stuffed Shells with Brown Butter Sauce

  • For tonight's dinner, I had the ricotta cheese, the pasta shells, garlic, parmesan cheese and the butter.
  • I bought butternut squash ($2), a container of spinach ($2), and the sage ($2).


This meal cost $6, and we had way too much of it.  It was good on day one, so make a half portion because this is the dinner that never ends.

Saturday: Waffles with strawberries and whipped cream

  • I had everything for this recipe (flour, milk, eggs, cinnamon, rice krispy cereal, vanilla, vegetable oil, baking powder, salt and heavy cream) except for the strawberries ($2).
  • I use the heavy cream to make fresh whipped cream, I cut up the strawberries, and the secret weapon is Trader Joe's sugar-coffee grinder.  Grind some on top of your waffles, and you will not be disappointed!


Dinner = $2.

Sunday: Stuffed Shells Again for free!

The meals this week cost $45.40  I'm pretty impressed with this one if I don't say so myself. :)
Have a great week!

All pictures are from Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment