Thursday, October 18, 2012

Cranberry Apple Crisp

In a recent post, I mentioned that I had gone to an apple orchard.  I wanted to share some of the recipes that I used because I had 13 pounds of apples to go through!  One of my favorite apple recipes was an apple crisp that I made from my Cuisine at Home magazine.  It was super easy and the streusel on top just set it over the edge of goodness!  


Here's the recipe:

Apple Crisp
Adapted from Cuisine at Home
Issue No. 95

Ingredients:

For the Streusel:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 sticks cold butter, diced
3/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup chopped pecans

Filling:
3/4 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup cider or brandy
4 lbs Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  For the streusel, whisk together flour, sugar, brown sugar, and salt.  Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until thoroughly combined.  Mix oats and pecans into flour mixture; cover and refrigerate.

For the filling, soak cranberries in brandy or cider for 20 minutes, until plumped, 20 minutes.  Drain and save liquid for another use.  Toss together apples, cranberries, brown sugar, lemon juice, 2 Tbsp flour, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.  Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish.  Cover apples with streusel and bake until apples are tender, about 50 minutes.  Let apple crisp rest on a cooling rack 30 minutes before serving.

I'm pretty sure you will enjoy this as much as I did.  Just add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you'll be set!  Happy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment