Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Special Chocolate Chip Cookies

The other day, a recipe on Pinterest caught my eye. I saw these amazing looking chocolate chip cookies.

Immediately my mouth started to water. I analyzed the picture; it looked tender and chewy. You can see lots of recently melted chocolate chips, and it was (most importantly) large. Now you know why it caught my attention.

So onwards I clicked and low and behold a surprise awaited me. I read through the ingredients to see why this one was unique. Flour (check), brown sugar (no white sugar... okay ... check), vanilla.... hmm. Something was missing, and it was the butter. These cookies were made with coconut oil! Who's ever heard of such a thing, I thought to myself. Butter = Cookies, but the picture did look amazing.

The next day, I stood in the baking aisle staring at the coconut oil. It was close to $6 (I hesitated), but I reasoned that it was an investment and I should move forward. I'm so glad I did. I made the cookies, took them to my community group last night, and we devoured them. This is by far the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I've made. It takes me a really long time to find a favorite, but this is certainly it. Go grab some coconut oil, and let me make a believer out of you!

Here's how you make them:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut oil - mine was melted... I'm not sure if it was supposed to be solid, but it's been so stinkin' hot here, I don't know if solidity would be possible. If yours melts like mine, don't worry.
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
1 bag chocolate chunks (or whatever your chip preference is)

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 400. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix the first 3 ingredients together until well blended.
3. Add everything else, and mix until incorporated.
4. Scoop huge scoop (2 1/2 - 3 tablespoons) of dough onto the cookie sheet. You should be able to fit 6 per average sized sheet.
5. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until edges are beginning to turn a golden brown. Try to wait for them to cool, but if you were like me and can't be warned: you will burn your mouth because you will inhale them.


No comments:

Post a Comment