Sunday, August 14, 2011

Mulligatawny Chicken Pot Pie

(Sorry, the best lighting was outside!)

I have been meaning to post this recipe for a while now. A few weeks ago, I found this recipe for a Mulligatawny Chicken Pot Pie. I love Indian flavors, so this seemed like it would be right up my alley. This pot pie is absolutely perfect for a family of two because it makes wonderful leftovers. The pie had a nice, flaky crust, wonderful seasonings and a fresh twist that is not usually seen in a pot pie. It's a unique recipe, and I highly recommend it.

Mulligatawny Chicken Pot Pie
Cuisine At Home
Weeknight Menus

Ingredients:

1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons butter

2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups sweet potato, diced

1/2 cup coconut milk
4 teaspoons cornstarch

2 cups shredded chicken
1 cup frozen peas

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400. Saute in butter: onion, curry, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, pepper flakes in a large pot on medium heat for 3 minutes.
2. Stir in broth and sweet potatoes. Increase heat to med-high and simmer until sweet potato is tender. (about 6 minutes).
3. Whisk together coconut milk and cornstarch and add to pot. Bring to a boil and simmer to thicken.
4. Off heat, stir in chicken and peas. Spoon mixture into 4 ramekins. Roll out the puff pastry and cut to fit the dishes. Brush pastry with butter, place on lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 400F.


*Note that this can be spicy... I thought it was fine, but I may have a higher tolerance than you do. Just make sure you keep some water near by. :)

1 comment:

  1. I have the Weeknight Menus from Cuisine as well. I cannot wait to try this out as a surprise to a few of my friends. It looks like your everyday potpie and coleslaw...I want to make the apple slaw that is suggested in the book. What else would you suggest that would be a delightful surprise? an appetizer that isn't what it appears, and or a dessert? How about a mixed drink? I would like to do a whole dinner that was a surprise! For my friends who are good sports and love food like I do of course. Hoping for ideas!

    ReplyDelete