Saturday, July 17, 2010

Peach Raspberry Preserves

I never wanted to can anything because I was terrified of botchulism. But then, I heard of freezer jam, and I realized that you don't have to worry about it because there is not any heating. So I decided to give home-made jam a try, and boy am I glad I did. Here is what you need to get started:*7 small canning jars*
*1 package pectin (I used Kroger brand)*
*4 fairly large peaches (You will need about 2 1/2 cups smashed)*
*1 cup raspberries (It should round the mashed fruit up to 3 cups)*
*4 1/2 cups sugar*
*2 Tablespoons lemon juice*
*3/4 cup water*


Directions:

Peal and slice all of the peaches, and place them in a bowl. Add the raspberries, and smash all of the fruit into a mushy mixture. Add the sugar and lemon juice, and mix well. Then bring the water to a boil, and add the pectin. Stir to dissolve for one minute. Pour the water over the fruit and mix well. Fill the jars with the fruit, but leave one - inch of room at the top. Don't forget to wipe the rim and sides with a wet paper towel so that you'll be able to get them open again! Let the jam sit at room temperature for 24 hours, then put it in the freezer until you are ready to use it. This jam must be refrigerated. That's all!

You could substitute any fruits you want, but just make sure that you follow the directions on the pectin box. Enjoy your home-made jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment