Saturday, November 21, 2009

My Favorite Thanksgiving Side Dish

I think I will bombard you with posts today. Still computer-less, but Scott is still asleep, so I'll keep posting until he wakes up, and I have to do "real" things. At any rate, this is my absolute favorite holiday dish. It is kind of unusual, and I had never had is before. You see, my family (with the exception of me) is from the North. In fact, my grandmother had never made biscuits and gravy even though she was a phenomenal cook. So this southern side dish was off the radar, until I went to Scott's family's house for Christmas. His aunt made this pineapple casserole, and I could have eaten the whole thing. So this is how you make it. It's sure to please!


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
  • 2 (20-ounce) cans pineapple tidbits, drained, and 6 tablespoons pineapple juice reserved
  • 1 cup cracker crumbs (recommended: Ritz)
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus extra for greasing pan
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease a medium-size casserole dish with butter.

In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and flour. Gradually stir in the cheese. Add the drained pineapple tidbits, and stir until ingredients are well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.

In another medium bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, melted butter, and reserved pineapple juice, stirring with a rubber spatula until evenly blended. Spread crumb mixture on top of pineapple mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Compliments of Paula Deen, so you know it's good!

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful! When my mom first made it I almost didn't try it because the thought of pineapples and cheese didn't sound great... but it is now one of my favorites!! Happy Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete