Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Week Two Recipes

Last week's recipes went really well!  As I hoped, I used up almost everything that I had purchased, and all left overs were eaten.  But I also acquired new items and had a few things left.  Here are my dinners for this week, and how I'm going to use up all those remaining items.

Monday: Fettuccini Alfredo

  • I used the other half of the pasta that I bought last week.
  • I used heavy cream that I bought last week to make caramel sauce.
  • I had parmesan cheese.
  • I made honey dijon dressing for our salad.
  • I bought spinach from the salad bar because we usually don't use the whole bag. 
  • Dinner = $1, plus 1 lunch and half of the alfredo sauce left.  I froze it to use at a later date!
Tuesday: Adobo Pulled Pork with Poblano Peppers, Sweet Potatoes and Cilantro Lime Rice
  • I bought the pork.  This recipe has onions (I had), orange juice (I bought), chipotle peppers (I had), lime juice (I bought), and a variety of spices (I had).
  • I bought two sweet potatoes.
  • I bought two poblano peppers.  (I just dice the sweet potatoes and poblanos.  Sauté the potatoes on the stove top in a little oil for about 15 minutes, then add the peppers for about 5 minutes.
  • I had rice, but I bought cilantro.
  • Dinner = $15
Wednesday: CG Dinner - I am taking a strawberry mozzarella salad. *This was a splurge... I love this, and I wanted to make it while strawberries were still in season!
  • I bought strawberries, mozzarella, mint and almonds.
  • I had olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
  • Dinner = $10
Thursday: Pork Tacos with Pickled Onions and Black Beans  I added lots of seasoning to this recipe... cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and chili pepper.
  • I used the pork from Tuesday (free), got some taco shells (bought), pickled some onions (free), and chopped up cilantro for the tacos.
  • I'm using the leftover rice from Tuesday tonight.
  • I bought a bag of dried black beans (cheaper than buying a can). 
  • I'm also going to freeze any remaining cilantro in a touch of olive oil to use later. 
  • Dinner = $3
Friday: Roast Chicken and Quinoa Salad  I still have some left over pork, so I am adding that to some sweet potato and black bean soup that I had in the freezer.  I'm also going to add any remaining sweet potatoes, black beans and rice.
  • I bought a whole chicken.  I had the butter and herbs to season it.
  • I bought a container of blueberries, a cucumber and a mango.
  • I had the quinoa.
  • Dinner = $14.50
Saturday: Spinach Artichoke Soup - find this recipe in a post next week.  Roast Chicken
  • I am using yesterdays chicken for this (free).
  • I am making chicken broth from the chicken bones (free).
  • I am buying a container of spinach and a leek.
  • I am buying a bag of frozen artichokes.
  • Dinner = $6, plus 2 containers to freeze for leftovers later!
Sunday: Eat Leftovers!  Spinach Artichoke Soup
  • I'm not sure what will be left, but I know that there will be some in the fridge... take advantage of resting on Sunday and simply reheat what you already have.
That's a whole week's worth of meals plus lunches and 3 full frozen meals for later for just $50.  Please note that my meat was bought local, so your costs will probably be lower if you purchase them at a grocery.

No comments:

Post a Comment