Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chai Spiced Sugar Cookies

It's time again for a cookie update.  My latest batch is inspired by chai spices.  They were divine.  I found this recipe, and I immediately knew that I had to make them.


To get a picture of this cookie, think of a soft, chewy snickerdoodle that is laced with cardamom, ginger, allspice and black pepper.  They are sweet, but the spiciness gives a delightful contrast.  This recipe make about 3 dozen cookies, so there's plenty for you to eat, and you'll have many to share.

Chai Spiced Sugar Cookies
Adapted From: My Baking Addiction
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  
In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  In a medium bowl, combine sugar and spices.  Remove 1/4 cup of mixture, and place in a small bowl to be used to coat the cookies.
In the bowl of a mixer, place the butter and the remaining sugar mixture.  Beat for three minutes or until light and fluffy.  
Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until they are fully combined.
Slowly blend in the dry ingredients.  Mix until they are just combined.
Use a tablespoon and form dough into a ball.  Roll the dough into the sugar-spice mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet.  Leave about 1 1/2 inches between each cookie.
Bake in a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.  Let them stay on the cookie sheet for two minutes and then move them to a cooling rack.  

*NOTE: The original recipe calls for 2 3/4 cup of flour.  I read the reviews, and some said their cookie dough was crumbly.  I added only 2 1/4 cup of flour to my cookies, and I think they turned out well, but I'll let you decide how much you would like to add.  My dough was a little crumbly even when omitting 1/2 cup of flour, but it was still very manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment