Monday, February 15, 2010

Kale and Lentil Stew

It's time for another recipe from one of my Disney Cookbooks. I've really been meaning to add this on for a while, but I just have been forgetting. Luckily for you, I made it again a few days ago, and it re-sparked the idea in my mind. This recipe is for Kale and Lentil Stew, and it is from the Delicious Disney Cookbook. This dish is served at Jiko, and while I have never eaten there, if every thing tastes so good, I simply must!Here is how you make this stew:

Ingredients:
*1 lb. petite French lentils
*2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
*1/2 cup olive oil
*1 bay leaf
*1 cup chopped onion
*2 stalks celery, washed and chopped
(I haven't added this... Scott is very opposed to celery for some reason)
*2 carrots, peeled and chopped
*2 garlic cloves, minced
*6 ounces kale, washed and thinly sliced (I've just bought the bundle and used it all)
*5 tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I've used a can for time's sake)
*3 14.5 oz cans fat-free chicken broth
(I supposed to make it truly vegetarian you could use vegetable broth)
*1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
*1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
*freshly grated Parmesan cheese
*extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
Rinse lentils and pick over for small rocks or pieces of hull.
Place lentils in a soup pot and cover with water. Add 1 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain, rinse and set aside.
In the same pot, heat the olive oil with the bay leaf, onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. Stir in kale; simmer for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes.
Add the cooked lentils, chicken stock and remaining sea salt. Bring to a boil; lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes.
Add parsley and black pepper. Season to taste. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and olive oil, if desired.

Serves 8

Cook's Notes: The tiny French (green) lentils, available in specialty stores and in bulk at many natural food stores, have a more delicate flavor than brown lentils and keep their shape and color. The soup tastes better the day after it's made.

No comments:

Post a Comment