Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Chicken Pie

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am cooking my way through "The Kentucky Fresh Cookbook." Up for tonight's menu was the Chicken Pie. The recipe says this makes one "pie" aka a huge chicken pot pie casserole. Realizing this before hand, I cut all of the ingredients in half because we just don't need that much! I will post the recipe as its original though, and you can choose how you would like to make it. Halving it worked just fine though.

While this recipe is quite tasty, I think I still prefer the one that I discovered a few years ago. It is so good, and I don't know if it can be beat. This Chicken Pie is more of a traditional, down-home pot pie, while my Martha Stewart Chicken Pot Pie is lighter and has an almost fresh because of the lemon zest and fresh thyme. I think that it's just more my style, but you be the judge. You can find that chicken pot pie recipe here.

On to this recipe:

Chicken Pie

Crust:

There is a recipe in the book, and I'm sure it is lovely, but tonight, I opted for the Kroger pre-made kind.

Filling

1/4 cup butter
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
4 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced (didn't use)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 t. dried thyme
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine (optional)
4 cups chopped, cooked chicken
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1/4 chopped fresh parsley
1 t. salt
1/2 t. fresh pepper
1 egg

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400. Spray a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, carrot and celery, and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add the flour and thyme, and stir until all the flour is absorbed.
Stir in the the liquids. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and allow to simmer until thickened.
Add the chicken, peas, parsley, salt and pepper.
Pour the filling into the prepared dish. Top with the pie crust. Cut small slits into the crust as a vent.
Mix egg with 1 T water, and brush on top of the crust. Place the pie on a cookie sheet, and bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment