Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Fall Find : Ambrosia Apples

Everyone talks about how great Honey Crisp apples are, but I never really got into them. They are tasty, but I always thought that the normal Granny Smiths tasted just as great and were easy to cook with or eat. But I have found an apple that rivals both, and I am so happy to share it with you; it's called an Ambrosia Apple.

I found them at Whole Foods, but I haven't looked for them anywhere else. They are so tasty. I have eaten them and baked with them, and they have been perfect each time.

Here are some more facts about the Ambrosia Apple: Considered an all-purpose apple, it is good for eating out of hand, for dessert or with cheese. Ambrosia is slow to oxidize and remains fresh and white for a long time when cut or sliced so it is excellent for salads, fruit plates etc. Ambrosia retains its shape when cooked so is beautiful in open pies or tarts. Ambrosia is harvested in early October and should be in most stores in November. Ambrosia is a sweet, low- acid apple with a heavenly aroma. Crisp in texture, its fine-grained flesh is crunchy and very juicy! It has been called "a very civilized, refined apple, destined to be loved by connoisseurs of the good life everywhere."

Compliments of Organicambrosiaapples.com

No comments:

Post a Comment