Thursday, May 20, 2010

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

I had always been leary of making potato soup. I'm not exactly sure of my reasoning, but I guess I always thought it would be very difficult. I can tell you that this was not, and it was so tasty. It did not have a cheesy taste, except for the bit of cheese on top, but it was smooth and delicious. I made it on Tuesday when their was just a bit of chill in the air, and it completely warmed me up. My husband told me it is the only potato soup that he has liked, and he is a tough critic.

Image Compliments of My Recipes

Loaded Baked Potato Soup
from Disneyland's Carnation Cafe

Yield: six 8-oz portions

Ingredients:
1 pound bacon, roughly chopped
*tip: place slices of bacon in the freezer to make it easier to cut*
2 large stalks celery, diced
1medium yellow onion, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
4 large Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced
4 medium Red Potatoes, diced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
4 cups heavy whipping cream
Salt/pepper to taste

Garnishes:
chives (chopped)
bacon bits
sour cream
shredded cheddar or monteray jack cheese

Directions:
1. Place stock pot, (6-8 quart pot) over medium heat. Fry bacon until crisp.
2. Remove and set aside on a paper towel. In the bacon fat, cook onions, carrots, and celery until the onions turn translucent.
3. Add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes.
4. Add the flour and stir constantly over low heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Add stock and half of the bacon back. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Over medium high, bring the soup up to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and tender. Mash some of the potatoes for thicker, creamier texture. Add cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Adjust thickness by adding water or stock for a thinner soup. It should have a creamy consistency.
7. Season to taste, and garnish with toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment